The new week started on Monday, and with it came the announcement of the initial public offering (IPO) of Muthoot Microfin Ltd. This subsidiary of the Muthoot Group, a leader in India’s microfinance sector, will be open for subscription on December 18, 2023. If you’re an investor, here are the 10 key things you need to know.
Overview of Muthoot Microfin Ltd. IPO
It’s early days for Muthoot Microfin’s IPO; by 10:24 AM, subscriptions were at 0.06 times overall. Retail investors are more proactive, filling 0.15 times, while the institutional portion was 0.04 times. Investors can choose between 2.61 crore fresh shares worth ₹760 crore or tap into the ₹200 crore offer-for-sale.
Background of Muthoot Microfin Ltd
Muthoot Microfin Ltd. is India’s leading microfinance institution (MFI), serving over 5.5 million women entrepreneurs across 23 states and 5 union territories. The company provides a range of financial products and services, including microloans, group loans, and individual loans, primarily focused on women borrowers in rural and semi-urban areas.
Muthoot Microfin Ltd. was founded in 2011 as a subsidiary of the Muthoot Group, a diversified financial conglomerate with over 90 years of experience in the financial services sector. The company leverages the extensive network and expertise of the Muthoot Group to reach underserved communities and provide them with access to financial services.
10 Key Muthoot Microfin Ltd. IPO Details to Know:
- Total Equity Shares and Fundraising: The IPO is expected to raise up to ₹960 crore through the issue, as the company allocated 97,93,812 shares.
- Offer for Sale Structure: The offer for sale (OFS) by promoters and existing shareholders is up to ₹200 crore through 6,872,852 equity shares. Key participants include investor Greater Pacific Capital WIV (₹50 crore) and Muthoot family promoters (₹150 crore).
- Key Dates: The IPO subscription opens on 18 December 2023 and closes on 20 December 2023. The shares are expected to be listed on the BSE and NSE on 26 December 2023.
- Lot Size: The minimum lot size for participation in the IPO is 51 equity shares. Investors can place bids in multiples of 51 shares. The minimum investment amount for retail investors at the lower price band of ₹277 per share is ₹14,127, while at the upper price band, the minimum investment amount increases to ₹14,841.
- Price Band: The IPO price band is fixed at ₹277 to ₹291 per equity share.
- Reserved Quota for Shareholders: The reservation of shares worth ₹10 crore for eligible employees at a discount of ₹14 per share. The net offer will be allocated with 50% reserved for qualified institutional bidders (QIBs), 35% for retail investors, and 15% for non-institutional investors.
- Gray Market Premium: Market observers state that the IPO is currently trading at a premium of ₹82 per share in the gray market.
- Amount from anchor investors: The company mobilized ₹285 crore from anchor investors.
- Financial Performance and Growth Metrics: During the fiscal year that ended on 31 March 2023, Muthoot Microfin experienced a substantial 72% increase in revenue, registering ₹1,446.34 crore. The company’s profit after tax (PAT) witnessed a 245% growth to ₹163.89 crore.
- Book-Running and Lead Managers: While Axis Capital, ICICI Securities, SBI Capital Markets, and JM Financial serve as the book-running lead managers, Kfin Technologies is the designated registrar for Muthoot MicroFin Ltd.
SWOT Analysis of Muthoot Microfin Ltd
|Strong brand recognition and reputation of the Muthoot Group. Extensive branch network and customer reach. Experienced management team with a deep understanding of the microfinance sector. Focus on women borrowers and financial inclusion.
|Dependence on the rural and semi-urban market, which is vulnerable to economic downturns.High concentration of loans in the southern states of India.Susceptibility to interest rate fluctuations.
|Growing demand for microfinance in India due to increasing financial inclusion and government initiatives.Diversification into new product categories and geographies.Adoption of technology to improve efficiency and reach.
|Increasing competition from other MFIs and banks.Regulatory changes in the microfinance sector.Economic slowdown impacting borrowers’ repayment capacity.
As the IPO for the Muthoot Microfin Ltd. IPO opens on 18 December, these are the top 10 things to look at for investors before making any decision.
I’m Archana R. Chettiar, an experienced content creator with
an affinity for writing on personal finance and other financial content. I
love to write on equity investing, retirement, managing money, and more.